The Environment Protection Agency Sierra Leone (EPA-SL) is the regulatory Agency charged with the responsibility to provide for the effective protection of the environment and for other related matters.
The EPA-SL continues to grow and is seeking to employ a Manager of the Geographic Information System (GIS) Unit to meet the challenges of environmental management
- Design and create maps and graphics;
- Develop, update and maintain GIS databases using various mathematic techniques;
- Provide technical support to professional planning staff of the Environment Protection Agency in the day-to-day performance of duties;
- Train staff and perform troubleshoot on various GIS applications and prepare data for all geospatial processes and applications;
- Use of ESRI software, such as ArcInfo and ArcView and other geographic analysis tools;
- Integrate various forms of geographical and non-geographical data such as land use and characteristics etc.
- Assist the planning staff by providing cartographic information and graphics for reports, presentations, grant applications, and news articles;
- Operate peripheral devices such as GPS, plotters, printers, digital cameras, and scanners;
- Plan various GIS plans and activities and provide support to all cross functional team and prepare various procedures for all GIS operations according to required policies and procedures;
- Develop time schedules and evaluate all specifications for GIS development and establish all mapping requirements to develop various processes and applications;
- Collaborate with various departments to prepare update on all GIS databases and equipment and ensure completion of all work within required timeframe;
- Coordinate requests over the phone and in person for maps or other materials;
- Perform routine maintenance of multiple databases;
- Manages internet mapping service administration;
- Gather and verify filed data for utilization in mapping applications;
- Oversee GIS supply inventory and ensure optimal use of all resources and provide transitional training to all employees.
- Attend meetings, and assist with various miscellaneous projects, as needed;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Experience Requirements
Candidates must possess:
- Master’s in Geography, Geomatics’ Engineering or GIS related discipline plus a minimum of five years’ demonstrated experience in GIS or any combination of education and experience that would provide the desired skills, knowledge and ability to perform the job.
OR Bachelor’s degree in the above stated disciplines in lieu of a Master’s degree, plus a minimum of eight years’ demonstrated experience in GIS or any combination of education and experience that would provide the desired skills, knowledge and ability to perform the job.
- Advanced knowledge of current versions of Windows, MS Access, MS Office, ESRI software (ArcInfo and ArcView), GRASS GIS, QUANTUM GIS, TNTMips etc. and database development is essential.
- Ability to interpret aerial photographs, transfer and/or rescale them to geographic maps.
- Analytical and the ability to apply GIS knowledge to solve complex problems.
- Must be able to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English
- Community leadership and mentoring skills: able to support, motivate and liaise effectively with villagers and community groups
- Sound cross-cultural, gender-awareness, interpersonal and networking skills
- Sound knowledge and understanding of climate change and environmental management issues relevant to Sierra Leone
- Proven ability and experience in workshop facilitation and giving presentations in both formal and non-formal settings
- Proven ability to develop training programs and lesson plans
- Proven ability to write reports, develop budgets and prepare proposals
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and lead a team.
Demonstrated Experience and Competence
- Professionalism: Accountability for goals and challenges and a fair knowledge in management, planning and monitoring and evaluation. Efficient in observing deadlines and achieving results;.
- Communication: Effective and distinct communication ability with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Leadership: Proven track record of managerial/leadership skills; Serve as a role model; empower others to translate vision into results; proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives.
- Integrity, Respect for Diversity – High level of Integrity: Must be honest, sincere and trustworthy and can demonstrate the core values of EPA-SL at all times
Method of Application
Interested candidates should forward their application indicating position applied for on the top right hand corner of a sealed envelope together with credentials and updated curriculum vitae, including the names and addresses of three (3) referees, including your most recent employer to:
Assistant Director Human Resources
Environment Protection Agency – Sierra Leone
92, Dundas Street
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CLOSING DATE: 5th March 2021.