The main functions of the Agency as described in Section 12 of Part Three of the EPA Act of 2008 as amended in July 2010 are the following:
- Environmental Impact Licensing. The Agency reviews and approves environmental impact assessments and environmental impact statements submitted following the EPA Act of 2008 or any other sector law.
- Enforcement and Compliance. The Agency ensures compliance with laid down environmental impact assessment procedures in the planning and execution of development projects, including compliance in respect of existing projects.
- Education and Awareness raising on the Environment. The Agency is responsible for the creation of public awareness of the environment and its importance to the economic and social life of Sierra Leoneans.
- Pollution control. The Agency prescribes standards and guidelines relating to ambient air, water, and soil quality, the pollution of air, water, land, and other forms of environmental pollution including the discharge of wastes and the control of toxic substances.
- Environmental Research. The Agency undertakes such studies and submits such reports and recommendations concerning the environment as the Government or Board may consider necessary.
- Environmental Integration. The Agency ensures the integration of environmental and climate change concerns in overall national planning by developing modalities and maintaining linkages or partnerships with relevant Government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies.
- Mobilize, expedite and monitor resources for environmental management. The Agency develops plans and programs with environment management issues that can be funded from multiple funding sources.
- Strengthen private sector involvement in Environmental Management. Liaise with the private sector, non-governmental agencies, Community Based Organizations on issues relating to the environment.
The vision statement of the Agency is to ensure sustainable use of our natural resources and contribute to poverty reduction through effective protection and sound environmental management.
The mission statement is to effectively protect, sustainably manage the environment and its natural resources to ensure a quality environment adequate f
The broad mandate of the Agency is to effectively protect and manage the environment; monitor and regulate companies with EIA Licenses and illegal operations that have an impact on the environment and advise
In living with its motto, the EPA-SL will strive at all times to maintain the core values of Stewardship, and Integrity.