REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL TO DEVELOP THE NATIONALLY DETERMINED CONTRIBUTIONS (NDC) IMPLEMENTATION PLAN WITH FINANCING
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
DEVELOP THE NATIONALLY DETERMINED CONTRIBUTIONS (NDC) IMPLEMENTATION PLAN WITH FINANCING
Procurement Number: EPA-SL/CCS/UNDP/RFP/007/2022
Date of First Issued: 21st April 2022
The Environment Protection Agency has received funds from UNDP for hiring the services of a consulting expert/firm to Develop the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) Implementation Plan with Financing. Climate change is the single greatest challenge humanity has ever faced, threatening water and food security, health, livelihoods, and the safety of billions of people. The global response to this challenge must be just, inclusive, and leave no one behind, while seeking the most efficient climate solutions that advance multiple Sustainable Development Goals at once.
The Sierra Leone ratified the Paris climate change Agreement in 2016. Sierra Leone submitted its Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDC) in 2015, which was transformed to be its first Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) after the ratification of the Paris Agreement. The development of the NDC was in response todecisions adopted at the 19th and 20th sessions of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), that invite Parties to develop and communicate to the Secretariat their INDCs, towards achieving the objective of the UNFCCC as set out in Article 2 of the Convention. NDC is a document that projects a country’s determination to address the issues of climate change and builds on national circumstance of the country. Climate change actions identified in NDCs can be integrated and embedded into national development planning, which do not necessarily need to be a new and separate process.
In 2021 the United Nations Development Programme supported the government of Sierra Leone to review and update its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) under the Paris Climate Agreement. This document demonstrates the country’s ambition for greater emissions reduction and resilience building. The government again has received funding from the UNDP to develop an implementation plan and finance strategy for the NDC.
To develop a comprehensive Nationally Determined Contribution implementation plan with a financing strategy for Sierra Leone.
- Prepare the Nationally Determined Contribution implementation plan with financing strategyconsidering sectorial or sub-sectorial approach. The financing strategy should consider national public funding, international climate financing through international funds, cooperative approaches under the Paris Agreement,carbon markets as defined in the Paris Agreement, and private sector financing.
- The consultant /expert should identify sectorial and sub-sectorial investment opportunities for private sector investment and recommendations to address the barrier
- Identify public sector funding gaps that require international grant support and private sector investments to enable Sierra Leone to be on track to reach the targets under the NDC
- Develop detailed implementation steps for the financing strategy of the NDC Implementation Plan and comprehensive resource mobilization and partnership strategy that includes an analysis of past fundraising experience and best practices from different sectors, details funding
- Finding financing options with a time-bound action plan, including mapping donor funding preferences and priorities and funding windows
- A draft report will be presented and final findings to stakeholders during the consultative workshop and a final validation workshop.
- Work closely with the Climate Change secretariat team
A Master’s degree in climate change and /or environment / natural resources management, International Development or related areas.
- A Minimum of 5 years of related experience with some understanding of climate change and extensive experience in policy development, strong working knowledge of UNDP, government institutions, the civil society sector and working with state public authorities on issues related to climate change;
- Excellent understanding of NDC and climate change.
- Proven understanding of the Climate Finance landscape and procedures, multilateral funds and the other channels including the role of the private sector in climate finance.
- Thorough understanding of climate finance in developing countries, investment risks and barriers and provenexpertise in designing financing mechanisms that address investment risks.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, work well independently, and manage work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to raise finance and close financial deals for low carbon and climate resilience finance indeveloping countries.
- Strong team player with a collaborative approach, excellent interpersonal, organizational, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Strong knowledge of or experience with bilateral and/or multilateral negotiations; and ability and interest in keeping abreast of new developments related to the UNFCCC negotiations and NDCs.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the Agency and partners institutions.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with analytic capacity and demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information in high quality papers/reports and in effective presentations to different audiences.
- Skills in facilitating meetings effectively and efficiently.
- Substantive experience in collaborating with and consulting for governments on climate change issues, particularly in developing countries in areas relevant to the preparation of INDCs.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Exercise the highest level of responsibility and be able to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible and mature manner.
- Projects a positive image and is ready to take on a wide range of tasks.
- Focuses on results for the client.
- Welcomes constructive feedback.
Good interpersonal and networking skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relations, supports and encourages open communication in the team, and facilitates team work.
Evaluation method and criteria
Technical Criteria weight 70%
Financial Criteria weight 30%,
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% of the total technical points (49 points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
|1. Technical Capacity and Related Qualifications||Points|
|1.||A Master’s degree in climate change and/or environment/natural resources management, International Development or related areas.||5|
|2.||A Minimum of 5 years of related experience with some understanding of climate change and extensive experience in policy development, strong working knowledge of UNDP, government institutions, the civil society sector and working with state public authorities on issues related to climate change;||20|
|3.||Proven understanding of the Climate Finance landscape and procedures, multilateral fundsand the other channels including the role of the private sector in climate finance.
|4.||Thorough understanding of climate finance in developing countries, investment risks and barriers and proven expertise in designing financing mechanisms that address investmentrisks.
|5.||Demonstrated ability to raise finance and close financial deals for low carbon and climateresilience finance in developing countries||10|
|6.||Strong knowledge of or experience with bilateral and/or multilateral negotiations; and ability and interest in keeping abreast of new developments related to the UNFCCC negotiations and NDCs.||10|
|Total Possible Points||70|
The consultant is requested to prepare and submit their technical and financial proposal to be submitted to the address not later than 11th May 2022 at (1:00 Pm).
Note: The consultant shall be ranked and the first ranked on the list shall be selected for the proposed assignment given that, their fee rates are within the budget. The selection process will be based on the Least Cost
Service Required: The Environment Protection Agency SL is soliciting the services of a Consulting expert/firm to Develop the Nationally Determined Contribution Implementation Plan with Financing. The Agency has secured fund from UNDP and is therefore inviting consultants who can provide a statement of capability and experience indicating that they are qualified to perform the service (description of similar assignment, experience in similar conditions, availability of appropriate skills among staff, etc.) to submit Technical and financial proposals for the assignment. The Technical Proposals will be publicly opened on [11th May 2022] at [1:00 pm], in the presence of the bidders’ designated representatives and anyone who chooses to attend, at the address below.
This advertisement is open to all individual Consultants nationwide.
Kindly submit the following documents;
- Technical proposal
- Financial Proposal
- A Cover Letter
- A Valid business registration certificate
- A Valid Local Council Certificate
- Curriculum Vitae
- Business Profile
- Samples of previous work
Duration of work:
The assignment is expected to be undertaken within Forty (40) days between May and June 2022.
Interested consultant may obtain further information and collect the terms of reference (TOR) at the address below between [9am to 4pm Mondays to Fridays].
Technical and Financial proposals must be delivered to the address below on or before [11th May2022] at [1:00 pm],
Proposals along with relevant documents must be submitted in sealed envelope boldly marked: “DEVELOP THE NATIONALLY DETERMINED CONTRIBUTION IMPLEMENTATION PLAN WITH FINANCING ’’ at the address below. Late proposal will be rejected and returned unopened. In addition to the original of the proposals, the number of copies required is 2.
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Bids must be delivered to the address below.
Environment Protection Agency-SL;
92 Dundas Street